Sunday, October 05, 2008

Principle of Compensation

Another General Conference of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints just came to a close. My heart is full after a weekend of uplifting talks, inspiring music and many moments when the Spirit seemed to be tapping me on the shoulder, saying, "that's for you."

I have had so many thoughts swimming around in my head and have wanted to share the feelings of my heart. To share everything would take too much time and would likely bore many of you. But there is one moment that keeps coming back to me and that is what I have decided to share with you.

Elder Wirthlin spoke yesterday about the wise advice of his mother to him when he was young, "Come what may, and love it." He talked about certain principles that will help us to find joy even in difficult times. One thing he spoke about that really hit me was understanding the principle of compensation. He said that every tear today will be returned a hundredfold with tears of joy and rejoicing.

As he expounded on this point, the image of my husband and children leapt into my mind. Eight years ago, I was going through the roughest time of my life. My divorce was almost final and my father had passed away. I was faced with being a single mom, going back to work, and an uncertain future, when I had thought I had known how my life would go. There were a lot of tears. But eight years later, the Lord has more than compensated for my sorrows. I have a husband who is good and kind and patient and loving beyond what I understood a husband could be. I have not just one, but three wonderful, joyful children and am looking forward to our new addition in the spring. I have a greater love for my Heavenly Father and my Savior, Jesus Christ and a deeper appreciation for the atonement and temple covenants. And I have been witness to the faith and strength of an angelic mother who has not failed to live the gospel of Jesus Christ for one day, even in the face of heavy trials.

The kind and wise hand that dried my tears during the darkest times has also given me new tears to water my testimony -- tears of overwhelming joy and gratitude. The blessings of the Lord are indeed great and I do not have room to receive them.

2 comments:

Rachel said...

You are wonderful. I would not in the least be bored by your thoughts on Conference. It was so inspiring, wasn't it? I feel invigorated.

Brenda said...

Whoa! Hold on a second! You're pregnant?? I thought I read all of your blog. Did I miss something?