Monday, June 29, 2009

Lessons I Never Learned

I remember when I was a kid, when I said I wanted something or to do something and my parents told me no, I usually complained. My complaints often started with, "but I want . . ." My parents had some words of wisdom for me in those situations, words that I wish I would have taken more to heart -- "Fix your wanter."

I cannot tell you how much sorrow and trouble and heartache I could have saved myself over the past many years if I had fixed my wanter years ago. And I am thinking about it today as I sit here trying to remind myself that no, I cannot go to lunch with my friends. I need to eat my frozen meal, as unappealing as it sounds. Because I may want to go get a delicious hamburger and french fries and chat with friends, but it's not wise for many reasons. So I just try to remind myself to fix my wanter. Which means I'll be eating at my desk.

4 comments:

Karen said...

I really like that. Is it okay if I use it?

Rachel said...

Good choice, Jess. Hard, but good. I always tell my kids to fix their wanter and they get so mad at me. I find that my wanter for little things is fixed. But for the big things it is sometimes harder. Like I really want to find a way to take our family to DLand in the fall. I keep trying to think of ways we can swing it in the face of all these other financial obligations. Is it wrong? I keep asking the Lord to see what He will tell me!!!

fuelMybrain said...

I love that saying! I always respond to my children's material requests with, "Is that a want or a need?" and we go from there. Once determined it's a "want" it's followed with: "Save now, buy later".

Being disciplined is difficult, but being content is even harder. Good for you for knowing the benefits of both!

Member of the Justice League said...

So why is buying a burger and fries and eating with friends a bad idea?