Wednesday, May 18, 2011

The Rest of November 2010 -- Catch Up Post 1

So I am woefully behind on chronicling my exciting life. For shame.
In November, I travelled to Beverly Hills for CDA’s annual House of Delegates. This was my fourth (and last) trip to Beverly Hills for work and the first time I wasn’t pregnant in BH. (That would come about a week after I returned from my trip.) The meeting went well, but the most important thing about work travel is having some time to bond with co-workers. And I definitely got to do that. Two highlights to note:

1) I finally made it over to the LA Temple grounds. There was no time for me to do a session, due to my work schedule, but I did manage to drag my department colleagues to the grounds and the Visitors Center. It was nice to be able to go and enjoy the Spirit there and also share a bit more about who I really am with these ladies I’ve been working with the last several years.


Admin Services Girls at the LA Temple

Me in front of the Family statue at the LA Temple grounds

2) I got to spend a lot of the time on Saturday talking to one co-worker in particular, Olga. We conversed for hours while covering the office desk on a very slow morning, and I truly enjoyed getting to know her better. She and I have very similar values and I learned a lot of interesting things about her life in Estonia and her childhood and her move here to California when she was 14. She’s really a great person.

I also did the typical trying out of a new restaurant (LA Food Show – yummy!) and visiting old favorites (Roni’s and The Farm) and going to Rite Aid in a completely silly mood and trying to keep slimy guys away from Olga and going to the President’s Party.


Admin Services Girls plus Dawn and Bill at LA Food Show -- delish!

Admin Services Girls at The Farm of Beverly Hills

There was one irritation: Olga loves to take pictures. Lots and lots of pictures. Do you know how hard it is to stay happy taking seemingly endless numbers of pictures while standing next to your literally 100 pound, gorgeous beyond belief co-worker when you look like me? It’s not awesome, let me tell you. I resorted to being silly. The kicker was when Olga asked a colleague from another department to take pictures of us and she basically spent 10 minutes berating me for not looking good in any of the pics she was taking. I soured on the party, went to my room and cried.


Me, Olga and Kim at the President's Party

Me and Olga, after I decided to stop trying to look good

Other than that, a great trip.

An even better trip, however, took place the next weekend. Josh and I gave Katie her birthday present – a trip to Monterey with just Mom and Dad. Friday after work, we drove down to Salinas and stayed the night in Grandma’s little house, which is so cute with all the renovations almost completed. Katie loved it and basically wanted to stay there forever. Having her own room to sleep in was like heaven to her.


Kate in "her" chair -- everything in the house was hers!

The next morning, we drove over to Monterey and visited the aquarium (courtesy of annual passes Grandma bought for all her grandkids, which include two free adult passes each time the child visits – we love Grandma!). The aquarium was awesome and Katie loved, loved it, but bummer of all bummers – the Outer Bay exhibit was closed for renovations. That is the coolest part of the entire place, so we were all a little sad. But it was still amazing. Kate loved looking at the sharks, the octopus, the rays, the jelly fish, the seahorses. She was not a huge fan of the sea otter exhibit, though. What’s wrong with her?!

Katie, looking at sharks and having the time of her life

In the kids' area at the aquarium

After the aquarium, we walked around Cannery Row and window shopped and had lunch. Then we drove over to Asilomar Beach and did some rock climbing and tide pool exploring. And then we drove home. A short trip, but a great time and experience for all of us – way better than any toy we could have gotten Katie, for sure. And the boys were pretty good for Aunt Doreen, who graciously babysat them and our house while we were gone. She rocks!
Katie and Mommy, after Katie climbed this rock and then jumped into my arms

This rock was kinda high and far out there. Katie would only have done this with her Dad.

Josh and Katie looking at tide pools

In November, we also celebrated Thanksgiving. The less said about that, the better.

Josh and I celebrated our 7th wedding anniversary on November 28th. I know we went out to dinner, but remember none of the details. That is what happens when you put off blogging for 6 months. Oh dear!

December post coming next. Hopefully, I can remember something from then . . .

2 comments:

Rachel said...

Both funny and interesting. Cool you took your coworkers to the Temple. I understand your feelings about the pics with the skinny coworker. But then later in your post, I was struck by how beautiful you looked in that picture of you and Katie by the rock she jumped off of. That means way more than how skinny or worldly pretty we are. True beauty shines when there is true, pure love and joy. I'd look at that picture of you Katie every day of the week over any pictures of skinny, pretty girls.

Jen said...

so....is it time for the December post yet?!!! :)