Friday, July 11, 2008

July 10, 1999

I'm a little late posting this. I meant to write yesterday about a very significant event -- Alek turned 9.


I've been trying to figure out all day what to say about my little boy. I don't know where to start.

Alek made me a mom. Alek made me grow up. Without Alek, I don't think I would have survived the worst time in my life. Not only did I survive, I smiled and laughed every day. Alek tells me stories and draws me pictures and makes me cards. Alek cries when I cry. Alek wants to spend time with me. Alek reads stories with me and plays board games with me and dances with me.



Alek has an amazing imagination. Alek is a great big brother. Alek is affectionate and funny. Alek idolizes his dad (Josh). Alek loves to learn. Alek loves to be outside. Alek has more energy than any other three children combined. Seriously.



Alek is very sensitive and can sometimes get upset easily. But he rebounds pretty quickly and easily about 99% of the time. He is a big believer in justice and in questioning everything I say to him.



When Alek believes in something, he defends it. He recently stood up for the right in a situation that would have been scary for just about anyone.



I love Alek. Happy Birthday, little guy. Sorry I don't know how to wax eloquent about you, but nothing I can say would even begin to cover it.


6 comments:

Rachel said...

Happy Birthday, Alek. We all love you so much. I have such fond memories of you through your first nine years. No matter how old you get, you will always be baby schmaby to me!
Love,
Aunt Rachel and the rest of the McDermott's

Gail Mom said...

Happy Birthday, Alek! It was really fun spending time with you at Jen's house and at Lagoon. You're a wonderful grandson!

Love, Grammy

Jen said...

Alek,
I am sure glad you came to see us. I hope you are glad you came. And I hope you had a great birthday.
-Aunt Jen

heathermommy said...

Happy B-day Alek!

You rock. Evie and Audrey think you are the best thing ever invented. I asked Evie why she liked you so much and she said, "He's big and he has great ideas!"

To me you will always be Nina!

Love
Aunt Heather

Jessica said...

From alek
thanks for talking about my 9th
birthday MOM.

CeeJ said...

Wow- your kids make me feel OLD! That 1st picture is how I remember him!! :) I wonder why he keeps aging, and yet I stay the same... ;)