Saturday, July 05, 2008

The Roots of Christianity

Stories like these astound me. See, in my life, there has never been any question at all whatsoever that the story of Christ's death and resurrection was part of ancient Judaic tradition. Christianity was not some new religion that sprung up after Christ's death; Judaism was Christianity and Christianity was Judaism. Although Christ had not yet come to earth, the Hebrew people worshiped him and looked forward to His coming. I mean, that is what the Old Testament is about. The animal sacrifices that were done were symbolic of Christ. The passover was symbolic of Christ. I've understood these things since my youth. The split between Judaism and Christianity occurred during Jesus's ministry, as people either accepted Him or rejected Him as the Messiah.

So for someone to suggest that a tablet written in Hebrew prior to Christ's birth that foretells the story of his death and resurrection is somehow going to shock me and make me question my theology is ludicrous. It confirms what I already know to be true -- that for thousands of years before His birth, Jesus Christ was prophesied of and His life, death and resurrection fulfilled those prophesies.

What does shock me is that theological history is so widely misunderstood, even (or maybe it is especially?) by so-called theological experts. Do other Christians really not understand and/or believe that their religion started way before the birth of Christ? If not, then why read the Old Testament? I honestly don't have the answers to those questions, so if any non-LDS (non-Mormon) Christians can enlighten me as to what is taught in other churches, I would appreciate it. Perhaps it is only these intellectuals who are shocked and not people of faith. Let me know.

2 comments:

Rachel said...

It's so funny. I was just reading this story on the internet. I had the same reaction as you. I guess maybe having the fulness of the Gospel gives us a much greater understanding of more than I thought it did.

Jen said...

Jessica,
I really appreciated this post. I was thinking the same things but do not have the gift of words like you do. Keep writing!
-Jen