Wednesday, November 18, 2009

A Non-Pictorial and Brief Update on The Barkers

First things first, if you've seen Katie or if you're a friend of mine on Facebook, then you know she cut her hair. Mommy and Daddy have been trimming Mommy's bangs at home since the hairstylist (if she so can be called) destroyed Mommy's hair a few weeks back. I guess Katie decided to trim her bangs as well. Unfortunately, she cut not just her bangs, but a huge chunk of hair out of the side of her head, too. Fortunately, the damage is not obvious. I guess I should be grateful that Kate's hair is always an uncontrollable mess.

And I have no idea why that news had to go first.

Second, lest you think I am the world's worst excuse for a mother, I love Charlie to bits and would not trade him for the world. Sometimes, I am just overwhelmed by worry and grief for my little boy. And for myself. Maybe mostly myself. I am too utterly selfish as a human being and especially as a mother. But I adore Charlie. I would not want to be without him.

Third, I am glad the House of Delegates (a work thing) is over. I could explain the House of Delegates to you, but you would fall asleep almost immediately if I did. This year's house was much harder than previous years' -- at least for me. But it is thankfully over. And I got a ridiculous hat out of the deal, which I will have to post pictures of later.

Fourth, Josh is the hardest working man in my house. He was up until 3 am last night working on the cover page for the first issue of Kaci Hansen Presents. I need to calculate how many hours he spends start to finish on each page he creates. He is getting paid well below minimum wage, poor thing. Honestly, I think he's making third world money. But he has a writer who is so excited to work with him on another project, that he already put out a press release saying Josh was going to be the artist for his project, even though Josh knew nothing about it! Josh is trying to figure out if he will have time to do both KHP and Fangs, which is the new project. If so, that would be great, but I don't want him to kill himself trying to work on both those projects and his own original book. Another cool piece of news: Josh is probably going to have a table at SacCon (Sacramento Comic, Toy and Anime Show) in March where he will be signing autographs. I think Josh is getting a good start in this business finally and I hope he continues to have success. I also hope no one will think too badly of him for the type of stuff he is drawing. They're horror comics and there are immodestly dressed women. I don't think he's doing anything to be ashamed of, but I am envisioning bad reactions from others. So don't expect me to send you all copies of his first KHP issue.

The kids are all doing well. Fitz continues to try to stand on his own, which he can do for several seconds at a time. He is also trying to walk along the furniture, but is not doing too swell at that. He still doesn't seem to care much for solids. I think we may need to hurry past the baby food stage and get some things in his mouth that he can actually chew. I have a parent-teacher conference at school today for Alek. I hope it's not a disaster.

That's the update. It wasn't very brief.

2 comments:

Jen said...

I am so glad that things seem to be taking off with Josh!

I want a transcript of the parent/teacher conference:)

Rachel said...

I think it is so awesome that Josh is finally having success with his art. He is so talented and deserves all the success in the world. I may not want a copy of the comic because horror and me do not get along. But that doesn't mean I think badly of Josh for being involved. I am really very happy for him. And if you ever have anyone tell you that you are a bad mom, please let me know so that I can knock them upside their obviously silly head. You are awesome, Jess and your kids are beautiful. Try not to worry about whatever happened at the P/T conference. Teachers aren't always the best judge of people. Alek is a great kid and brilliant too. Sorry for the long comment!
Love,
Rachel