Tuesday, November 10, 2009

Self-Inflicted Torture

I signed up for the Babycenter updates for each of my kids when they were babies. You get newsletters telling you about their stage of development and what kinds of behaviors are common, etc. I got a newsletter this morning for Charlie, all about the things I will hear him say that will demonstrate how he is making connections, etc. Of course, what I hear Charlie say is all gobbledy-gook that I can't understand, except for the occassional "no" or "mom" (I do like that one). Getting these newsletters just makes me depressed about everything Charlie can't do, which is entirely the wrong focus and one I drift toward often enough without these newsletters popping up in my e-mail. I think it's long past time to unsubscribe.

These newsletters are also making me freak out about Fitz's lack of consonants. Daily, I deal with the fear that Fitz will have autism, too or some other disorder that will keep me from being able to communicate with him. Every day I worry that he will never talk to me. Last night, Josh and I were watching Fitz happily playing and listening to him squeal and I said, "I hope Fitz is . . ." and then I stopped. Because I was about to say, "normal." And I hated myself for even thinking that word. And I cried.

4 comments:

Rachel said...

I'm not sure what to say, Jess. I have no idea how all of this is for you guys. Any advice I would offer would sound pretty hollow and lame. So instead I will say that I love you very much and that you are an amazing daughter of God with a beautiful family. My prayers are always with you!
Love,
Rachel

Member of the Justice League said...

So autism isn't normal. Big deal. It's not like you were ever that normal to begin with, right?

Plus, I think it's normal to want the most for your kids and that includes wanting them not to have these huge, horrible challenges. But sometimes they do.

Have you thought about contacting CJ's mom? David isn't autistic, but I'm sure she has more than a few insights on life with a special needs child.

You have one of the most loving hearts I've ever met. You'll be the best mom Charlie and Fitz and Alek and Katie could ever have.

Jen said...

Jess,

I, of course, find myself worrying often about Baby Josh all the time. But when I calm down and breathe and find my faith I know it will all be okay. I have to trust that Heavenly Father knows what he is doing. He is in control-not me. If, in His wisdom, I end up with two Autistic sons, than I will have faith and go from there.

I "discovered" this scripture the other day and it helped me put things into perspective:

"Believe in God; believe that he is, and that he created all things, both in heaven and in earth; believe that he has all wisdom, and all power, both in heaven and in earth; believe that man doth not comprehend all the things which the Lord can comprehend."

tylersgirl said...

I love you Jess. You are a great mom. Please don't doubt that.