Monday, September 20, 2010

Why Being Less Than Rich Is Sometimes Stinky

I love to travel. Traveling costs money. Money that I do not have. Sigh.

My sister, Jen, and her family just took this amazing vacation to southern California -- their first real vacation as a family. It only took 18 years. And I am totally coveting their trip.

Because that's how I am.

And they got to go to Disneyland and California Adventure. And we all know how I am about that.

Plus, I just really want to get away. All the time, pretty much. I guess because I want to avoid real life or something like that. But that's another post and I don't feel like exploring my psyche this evening.

So for the past week, I've been trying to convince myself that I can take a vacation to Orlando or Disneyland or DC or . . . you get the idea, all because I have an extra paycheck coming later this year (3 in one month, instead of the 2 we normally live off of -- happens twice a year).

The truth is, there are a bajillion other things, far more practical and responsible things that I could and should do with that money. BUT I JUST WANT TO GO TO DISNEYLAND. I mean, I've only been there twice this year. I need to go again, right? (Yes, I have a disease.)

Today, I finally managed to talk myself out of my madness. If I want to go to Disneyland, there are some debts I need to pay off first and I need to save up money and plan way in advance. And I need to take the kids back with me.

But I still plan to travel.

Josh's mom owns a house in Salinas, a 20 minute or so ride to Monterey. Katie desperately wants to go to the Monterey Bay Aquarium. So Josh and I decided that should be her birthday present. As long as the house is ready for visitors and it's okay with Josh's mom, the plan is to drive down on a Friday afternoon, spend the night, visit the Aquarium and the beach the next day and then drive home.

Also, Josh and I need to get away together. We're run down. So, if we can get someone(s) to take our kids, the plan is to drive down the coast to Santa Barbara the week after Christmas, celebrating both our wedding and sealing anniversaries (7 years and 6 years, respectively). Day one we'd drive to San Francisco to Santa Cruz to Salinas. We'd spend the night in Salinas and then do Salinas/Monterey/Carmel the next day. I'd like to go to the National Steinbeck Center, stroll along Cannery Row and Fisherman's Wharf, check out the tide pools, visit 17 mile drive and walk the streets of Carmel and visit all the art galleries. Josh and I went on our honeymoon trip to Monterey in late December of 2003, so it would be nice to go back at the same time this year.

The Lone Cypress, a 17 Mile Drive landmark

We'd spend the night in Salinas again, then drive to Big Sur to San Simeon (and visit Hearst Castle and the Piedras Blancas Elephant Seal Rookery) to San Luis Obispo. I'd love to stay at the Madonna Inn in SLO (but probably won't because it's expensive) and make Josh eat in the pink restaurant:

The Gold Rush Steakhouse at the Madonna Inn


We'll drive Pismo Beach to Santa Barbara (which is what Josh really wants to do, since Psych is set there -- yes, that is really why) and then we'd come home.

Highway One is completely gorgeous, so it should be an amazing trip. The plan is to stay at a hotel just one night and to bring most of our food with us so we don't spend a lot of money. And I will just have to deal with getting that close to Disneyland, but stopping and then coming home.

Some Highway 1 Sights:

Limekiln State Park

Point Sur Lighthouse

Bixby Bridge


Next year, I'll be in Utah in early July for the Geer Family Reunion and hopefully San Diego in late July for Comic-Con so Josh and I can try to convince someone to publish our comic book, Blackstone. And then the plan is to save money and go to Disneyland in November 2011. And maybe Sea World, the San Diego Zoo and Universal Studios. We'll see.

Doesn't that sound much smarter than blowing all my money now and potentially making it impossible for me to go to my family reunion next July and feeling super guilty about how I am spending my money?

I think so too.

4 comments:

heathermommy said...

or you could come do a church history vacation. Winter's quarters, nauvoo and missouri sites are all within 4 hoours of here!!

Jessica said...

Heather, it's definitely on my list for the future.

Rachel said...

As enticing as Disneyland in December sounds, this new plan of yours is definitely smarter. Maybe one day you can still do New Year's Eve in Disneyland and maybe someone we both know and love could go with you for that. She has the Disneyland disease too! The drive down highway 1 is going to be so awesome.

Amy Sheppard said...

yes!! You must be at the family reunion in July, no matter what :)