Tuesday, March 23, 2010

It is Not Requisite That a Man Should Run Faster Than He Has Strength, or How Jessica Became Lame, Literally

I may have mentioned this before, but I am officially huge. Like I can't even stand to look at myself, don't want to leave the house, don't want to see old friends and refuse to let people take pictures of me huge. And I am a little sick of it. And I am trying really hard to undo all my bad habits so I am no longer huge.

So I decided that I needed to start taking exercise breaks during the work day. I used to walk around Capitol Park, but the weather turned bad and that habit just went out the window. But good weather has returned, so I decided to add that to my daily list. It didn't seem like enough, though. So walking the stairs during my morning break seemed like a brilliant idea.

A few weeks ago, I decided to start taking the stairs at my parking garage. I usually park on floor 5, 6, or 7, and so go down four or more flights of stairs in the morning and go back up four or more flights of stairs in the afternoon. Adding another stair walk to my morning routine didn't seem like such a big deal, and I thought I'de been doing enough that I could push myself a bit.

I walked from the 14th floor to the 19th floor. Then I walked all the way down to the 1st floor. Then I walked back up to the 6th floor. Then I walked around the 6th floor, which is a parking level, so I could get some fresh air. Then I took the elevator back to 14.

My legs were a little sore and I was winded, but I felt okay. That afternoon, my friends and I decided to do a half-cap (halfway around Capitol Park). And oh, oh, oh. Within three minutes, I knew I'd made a huge mistake. There was no way I could go on this walk. But my pride prevented me from confessing to my friends that I needed to turn back. So I pushed myself to keep going. About halfway through the walk (right at the point where there was no turning back, just going the rest of the way around), I told my friends I was in a lot of pain. I thought maybe taking off my shoes would help. So I took off my shoes and walked on the sidewalk of downtown Sacramento in my socks. But that didn't help. So I told my friends I had to slow down, told them to go on without me (they didn't, bless them), and sat down on a bench to put my shoes back on.

Miraculously, I was able to make it back to work. I was in pain driving home. I was in pain walking around my house. And I knew it would be worse today, because it's always worse the second day, right? But "worse" doesn't quite cover it.

I've been shuffling around like a cripple all day. The walk to work and then back to my parking garage were torture. Having to use the gas and break pedals in my car was agony. I wore heels to work, like a genius. It took me twice as long to get around as it normally does. My calves feel like rocks, and not in a good way. Tomorrow, we have to take Charlie to be reevaluated and my friend is babysitting for us. I wanted to clean my house so I would not be totally embarrassed when she came over (Josh has so much work to do and is completely off the hook for cleaning). Let me tell you, it did not happen. I've been sitting or laying down most of the evening.

When I do walk, I look like, according to Josh, the Bride of Frankenstein. Earlier, when I walked into the kitchen to get dinner, Josh burst into laughter. I told him he was being a jerk; I am in immense pain and I am terribly embarrassed by how foolish I look. He couldn't help himself. He started laughing harder. He was in tears. He gave me a big hug and said, "I love you so much. You are so funny, even when you don't mean to be." Nice. Of course, he's so cute when he laughs that I couldn't stay mad at him.

I hope that my legs will return to normal form soon. I have a training meeting in Carlsbad on Friday that I am in charge of. I would like for my volunteer dentists to see Jessica, CDA superstar, not the Bride of Frankenstein. And I need to get my house ready for my mom's visit.

It is not requisite that a man should run faster than he has strength. Nor is it wise. Lesson learned.

4 comments:

heathermommy said...

So your legs and feet are hurting?? here is my advice. wear sneakers next time and stretch after and for now Ice those babies to death. It will make a big difference. Just don't give yourself frostbite like I did!!!!

Rachel said...

I think sometimes when we get a burst of motivation about exercise that we push too hard, too fast and end up apparently looking like the bride of Frankenstein. When your legs get back to feeling better start off a little slower missy. It takes a while to get in shape. But it seems like as soon as we stop working out, we get out of shape pretty fast. Consistency is the key. We have to keep doing stuff, even if we have to start out slow. I hope your agony subsides quickly!

Jen said...

This made me laugh. Sorry. I know just how you feel, literally. Since I have been lifting weights I have plenty of days of feeling crippled. For a couple of days last week I would cry every time I sat down. My bum hurt sooo bad!

Member of the Justice League said...

I'm sorry you were in pain. That's crummy. Trying to lose weight is crummy too. But possible.

Before I couldn't wear Lane Bryant sizes. Think about that for a second. Lane Bryant, the clothing store for large women, too small for Lee.

Now I'm under 300 lbs. Woo hoo! Only like 130 lbs. to go. That's only a WHOLE person!

And I agree with Heather, Rachel and Jen. A stroll around the block is better than nothing. Here's to looking at you!