Friday, July 16, 2010

Disappointed

Josh got his copy of Kaci Hansen Presents #1 in the mail today, and, unfortunately, he is really disappointed in it. The colorist is not up to the standard Josh would like and, worst of all, he colored over Josh's inks and made his work look bad.

Here is what one of his favorite pages looked like when it was just inked:


Here is what it looks like colored:

That third panel is especially awful. This guy has no concept of how to work with light.

Anyway, Josh is pretty mad. This is supposed to be something he can show to other publishers so they can see what he can do, but you can't see what he can do because of the way the guy colored it. He also did really stupid stuff, like put pants on a character who was drawn wearing shorts.

Oh well.

He's also been working on a couple of sample pages in a bid for a new job. Here are the sample pages, which I think turned out really nice:




This book is just being done in black and white, so he would be the only artist working on it. He's supposed to hear next week if he got the job. Cross your fingers!

6 comments:

Jen said...

I have to say that from what I have seen of Josh's coloring jobs, he is much better than this guy. Oh well. It doesn't look too awful though. Can't Josh just show his black and white originals?

Jessica said...

Yes, when he sends a portfolio. Unfortunately, we don't know how to update his website (a friend did it for us and now he's on his mission), so when they want him to send a link to his work, we don't have any of his new work on his web site. :(

Amy Sheppard said...

That stinks! Not Josh, the "colorist".

Rachel said...

I am sorry that it didn't out too well. Too bad Josh didn't just do the coloring himself. Maybe the key is trying to figure out how to update the website. Hmm, who would know how to do that? I am going to have to think on that one. I'll let you know if I have any ideas.

Jen said...

what is Josh's website address again?

Jessica said...

I just put it on my sidebar -- I don't know why I didn't have it there before. Duh. Anyway, it's joshbarkerart.com