Monday, January 09, 2006

How Stupid Do You Think I Am?

About once a week for the last 4 years, I have received an e-mail promising me millions of dollars from a bank in (insert name of African or Middle Eastern country here) -- money which I am receiving for doing tasks ranging from nothing to stealthily transferring the even greater number of millions currently in danger of being stolen away from some poor ex-leader who was recently overthrown by the latest in a seemingly never-ending string of coups. This kind sir/ma'am will get his/her money as soon as he/she sends on his/her social security number, bank account number (to transfer the money of course!), e-mail passwords, names of his/her last four girl- or boyfriends, college grades and the location of the lost city of Atlantis.

I am pretty sure my six year old wouldn't fall for this idiotic scheme, but I fear someone somewhere must be having success with these transparently fraudulent communications because I just keep getting them. I just delete these messages and move on, but sometimes I am tempted to reply to these people with a one sentence e-mail:

How stupid do you think I am?

Which is pretty much the same e-mail I want to write to the creative geniuses bringing us the oh so realistic Book of Daniel, who apparently are counting on the American public to be stupid enough to believe that this fictional priest's life is representative of the lives of Christian clergymen. Let's face it -- everyone's family is a mess in some way, no matter how small, but I have never met anyone whose family is as screwed up as this guy's is. I could rant and rave about the ridiculously obvious agenda driving this TV show, but I think you would be better served by reading Carol Platt Liebau's take on it.

After you've read her article, I would like you to answer these questions for me: Can you imagine the Savior of the world talking the way they have Him talking in this show? Can you imagine pouring your heart out to Him and then having Him respond to you by mocking you and trivializing the issues which weigh most heavily on you? Can you imagine the sadness Christ must feel as He sees the people for whom He suffered trying to use Him to justify their own weaknesses rather than turning to Him for help to overcome them?

The people involved in this sorry excuse for entertainment may be able to fool themselves that they are just being so cool by pushing the envelope and stirring up controversy, but I, for one, am not that stupid.

No comments: