Wednesday, January 18, 2006

More on Love in Hollywood

I have a big problem with Brokeback Mountain -- and it's not the issue that everyone else focuses on when discussing this movie (although that is a problem for me as well). My big problem with Brokeback Mountain is that it excuses adultery.

As a disclaimer, I have to say here that I have not seen this movie. Nor is there a snowball's chance of me ever seeing it. But I have read quite a bit about it and heard it talked about on TV and seen preview after preview of it. And in everything I have seen or heard about it, people talk about how it's a great love story. In fact, one reviewer called it,
"one of the greatest love stories in film history."

Of course. Certainly. I mean, all great love begins and ends with selfishness, right? And there are few things in this world more selfish than committing adultery.


I have advice for people who want to commit adultery -- if the person you are with is a kind, decent, caring human being who is worthy of respect and admiration (which I hope they are since you married them in the first place) then get over yourself and start figuring out how to love that person enough that the last thing on earth you would ever want to do is to hurt them, thus preventing your descent into this immoral choice. If you absolutely cannot be faithful to your spouse, then give them the courtesy of respecting them enough to divorce them before you start another relationship.

Adultery is inexcusable. No ifs, ands or buts. If you or anyone you love has committed adultery (or has been the "other man or woman") and you feel it is excusable and you are offended or think I am an idiot, too bad. I have seen the effects of adultery first hand and I am not fooled by the justifications people give for engaging in such damaging behavior. It hurts not just the adulterer's family but also the adulterer him- or herself and whoever they are involved with.


So when Hollywood makes these movies where I am supposed to sympathize or excuse such a deplorable act, I get a little angry. When they promote such movies to be wonderful moving love stories, I get even angrier. True love is when two people who have committed themselves to each other forsake all others and give selflessly of themselves to make the other's life better. True love makes people better, it does not drive them to commit sin and to betray those to whom they should be most loyal. True love elevates both the one who loves and the one who is loved.

Of course, Brokeback Mountain is just one in another string of Hollywood pictures which try to provide justifications for what is certainly a destructive force in people's lives. After years of brainwashing people with good writing, attractive stars, and pretty camera work, it's hardly surprising when no one notices that no matter how "nice" someone is, what they are doing is not nice at all. No, not surprising, but a rather disturbing commentary on the state of this world we live in.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Couldn't agree with you more on the subject of the "legitimacy" of adultery in the movies. Our world deteriorates every day. That said, I hear your pain on the adultery issue. I had to deal with it about 10 years ago but I can say we came through it with a lot of work. It can be done and divorce is not the only option when both parties want to work at it. Everyone is fallible and can fall to temptation if they don't guard themselves well. My greatest issue is with those "predators" who know someone is married and still engage in some kind of relationship with the married party. That is premeditation and it's inexcusable. The damage they do is unbelievable. Those are the ones against whom I direct my anger.

Anonymous said...

You gotta be kidding, honey, I mean after all - a Mormon lecturing about adultery? Come on, didn't your 'church' start up after a New Orleans pimp had a 'vision' that each man should have like twenty wives or something?
Now about Brokeback Mountain...that I'm with you 100%. Gay cowboys, who could believe it - except maybe that one in the Village People.

Jessica said...

Um, no, Lester, that's not at all how my church started. I am not sure if you think you're being clever or if you really have no idea what you are talking about or both, but if you would actually like to know about my church you should visit www.mormon.org.

Anon -- I agree that marriages can be fixed after adultery has been committed. I am not suggesting someone is evil because they make a bad choice. What I condemn is the justifying of evil actions, which the committing of adultery certainly is.